You are here
Commercialization Analysts (Not currently accepting applications)
Join Our Team: Internship Opportunity at the Intersection of Business, Science & Law
The Office of Technology Management is seeking MBA, JD, and PhD candidates to join its paid commercialization analyst internship program, starting Summer 2020 and lasting through Spring 2021.
Interns will develop an understanding of intellectual property law, market and industry analysis, and introductory licensing methods and strategies.
Who We Are
We are the office responsible for protecting and commercializing innovations developed at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Who Can Apply
UIUC MBA students, law students, and PhD students in any scientific field (PhD students must have approval from their advisors before a job can be accepted).
What You Will Do
Working with members of OTM staff, you will talk with UIUC inventors/innovators to understand their innovation, then perform a patentability analysis (we have tools and training for this) and perform a market analysis (we have tools and training for this). You will compile your results into a presentation that you will make to OTM staff, suggesting a path forward for the innovation. During this entire process, OTM staff will mentor you to ensure your professional development in the technology transfer field.
What You Will Learn
Besides learning a bit of patent law, market analysis, and some business law, you will learn about entrepreneurship, negotiating, and licensing.
Pay rate: $21.50/hour
Hours: Summer months: 35 hours/week (Ph.D. candidates only work 35 hours/week the first two weeks); Class months: 10 hours/week.
Dates: January 27 - January 31, 2020. All information sessions start at noon.
- Institute for Genomic Biology: Monday, January 27, room 612/614
- Chemical and Life Science Laboratory: Tuesday, January 28, room B124
- Law Building: Tuesday, January 28, room F
- School of Information Sciences: Wednesday, January 29, room 126
- Grainger Library: Thursday, January 30, room 433 (sorry, no food)
- Wohlers Hall: Friday, January 31, room 240
Bonus: We will have pizza (except at Grainger)!
Submit résumé and cover letter via Handshake (#3373774) or email to OTM Assistant to the Director, Heather Jones at email@example.com . Deadline: February 13. 2020
Communications and Marketing Intern (not currently accepting applications)
What You Will Do
Our internship program is committed to helping our interns advance their education and career goals. We provide résumé-building experience in many different areas of communications and marketing. The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the OTM's social media presence on Twitter by highlighting the University's innovations and latest news features and digitally interacting with other University departments
- Writing and proofreading content such as tweets, feature stories, newsletters and email blasts
- Utilizing Adobe Creative Suite to design graphics, posters, brochures, flyers, and invention sell sheets
- Working with all job functions in the office across diverse projects, such as technology managers, administrative assistants, and licensing and patenting coordinators
- Conducting market research to identify and understand potential industries for the University's inventions
- Coordinating technology transfer events, such as Illinois Ignite and Share the Vision
- Benchmarking OTM against other universities' technology transfer offices to compare year over year growth in startup activity
- Compiling startup information to aid the OTM's annual report
- Identifying strategies and tools to maximize the OTM website and social media as a communications and promotional vehicle
- Distributing press releases and stories, working across campus to get OTM stories placed on appropriate sites and in appropriate publications
- Advertising OTM events to the campus community
- Assisting at OTM campus events as appropriate
- Updating the OTM website with current information
- Strong writing skills.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop & Illustrator)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to think critically and creatively to identify potential marketing opportunities for new inventions
Pay rate: $14/hour
Start date: N/A
Hours: The position requires 10 hours/week during the academic year and reports to the OTM's Senior Assistant Director for Marketing & Communications.
We are not currently hiring marketing interns